Fire Safety Awareness Tips
Every 24 seconds, a fire department in the United States responds to a fire somewhere in the nation (via nfpa.org). Taking these prevention steps can mitigate the risk of fire in your home:
Did you know?
- In 2020 there were 43,115 fire related incidents in the City of Houston.
- In 2018, Texas, California, and New York led the nation in number of fire deaths.
- Nationally, 7 people die every day from a home fire, mostly impacting children and the elderly.
Fireworks Safety Awareness Tips
Seguridad contra Incendios y Fuegos Artificiales
Where to Report
- Report fires and medical emergencies to 911!
- Burning trash or having bonfires within the city limits is against fire code. Report illegal bonfires and suspected arson, to these non-emergency phone numbers:
- Houston Police Department: 713-884-3131
- Harris County Sheriff’s Department: 713-221-6000
Partners & Resources
- Houston Fire Department: Reports, Statistics, Safety & Public Education: houstontx.gov/fire/
- Red Cross: Safety Education, Trainings, & Certifications: redcross.org
- National Fire Protection Association: Public Education, Trainings, News & Research: nfpa.org/
- U.S. Fire Administration: Prevention, Data, & Trainings: usfa.fema.gov/