LGBTQIA+ Safety Awareness
LGBTQIA+ people are nearly four times more likely to experience violent forms of victimization including rape, sexual assault, and aggravated assault compared to non-LGBTQ individuals. It is critical to know how to best protect yourself, your students, and the community; and to know where to report victimization.
Where to Report
- If you are in immediate danger, please call 911!
- If you feel as if you are in crisis, please call the LGBT Switchboard Houston at 713-529-3211
- To report hate crimes anonymously call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS (8477)
In 2019, the number of anti-trans violence grew by 18% from 2018 to 2019 (FBI 2019 Hate Crime Stats Report). According to the FBI, a hate crime is defined as: “a criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against, race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity”. Though Federal laws do not ban discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, all but 5 states (Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, South Carolina, and Wyoming) have laws addressing hate crimes. In Texas, hate crimes are addressed based on sexual orientation but not gender identity. In 20 States and D.C., hate crimes are addressed based on sexual orientation AND gender identity.
Download our Safety Awareness Tips
¡Descargue Nuestros Consejos de LGBTQIA+ en Español!
Download our LGBTQIA+ Student Safety Tips
Partners & Resources
- The Montrose Center empowers the community – primarily lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) individuals and their families – to live healthier, more fulfilling lives by providing behavioral health and support services, adult primary care and psychiatry, and free wellness programs that empower individuals to proactively participate in their own care. montrosecenter.org
- Houston Gay and Lesbian Parents is a diverse social group for LGBT parents, their partners, and their kids. They offer family friendly activities, support groups and resources for parents planning to come out. hglp.org
- PRIDE Houston Inc. will support, educate and promote the LGBTQIA+ community in order to commemorate our history and advocate our rights for current and future generations by producing Pride events that represent our diverse community. pridehouston.org
- LGBTQ+ Cycle is an organization with a mission to support the LGBTQ+ Community by promoting self-liberation, instilling confidence and the willingness to be. They provide mental and emotional health assistance, opportunities for relationship building, and career and personal achievement promotion for the LGBTQ+ community. facebook.com/lgbtqcycle