Being a victim of a crime is frightening and unsettling for the millions of Americans who unfortunately experience it each year. Progress has been made in improving the rights of crime victims. Victims and survivors of homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, domestic violence and other serious offenses have transformed their victimization into a vehicle for ensuring that victims of crime receive justice, meaningful assistance and compassionate treatment.
The mission of Crime Stoppers of Houston’s Victim Services and Advocacy Program is to promote safety, healing, justice and rights for crime victims and survivors.
Mission in action:
- Act as an advocate on all stages of victimization
- Ensure crime victims and survivors have a voice in our criminal justice system
- Empower crime victims and survivors to assist in rebuilding their lives
- Collaborate with law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, probation and parole departments, juvenile justice systems and social services in assisting all victims of crime
- Accompany victims and survivors to Court and Parole Board hearings
- Guide victims and survivors through media inquiries and engagements
- Refer victims and survivors to local, state-wide and national victim assistance organizations
- Fight for legislative improvement to enhance victims rights and public safety
- Conduct community events to commemorate victims and survivors
- Increase public knowledge of victimization and its impact
Join us for our annual events:
- National Night of Remembrance: Every September
- Holiday Memorial Remembrance Tree Ceremony: Every December