Animal Cruelty Prevention
Animal cruelty is deliberate abuse or simply the failure to take care of an animal. Learn what you can do to help prevent animal cruelty, abuse and neglect.
Did you know?
- You are required to have a breeder’s permit to breed and sell animals.
- Homeless animals outnumber homeless people 5 to 1.
- Children 10 years old can be charged with animal cruelty for brutality against animals.
- Animal neglect is often one of the first indicators of distress in a household.
- Pet abuse was found in 88% of families under supervision for physical abuse.
Where to Report
- Report Anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS (8477)
- Harris County Animal Cruelty Taskforce: 832-927-PAWS or 927paws.org
- Houston SPCA: 713-869-7722
- Houston Police Department: 713-884-3131
Partners & Resources
- Houston PetSet: A 501(c)(3) umbrella organization dedicated to ending homelessness of companion animals and alleviate suffering. houstonpetset.org
- Harris County Constable Precinct 5 Animal Crimes Unit: constablepct5.com
- Houston Police Department: houstontx.gov/police/
- BARC Animal Shelter & Adoptions: The City of Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Facility. houstontx.gov/barc/
- Harris County Public Heath-Animal Shelter: Resourced by Harris County Public Health, offers a safe haven to hundreds of lost, neglected and abandoned animals. publichealth.harriscountytx.gov
- Houston Humane Society: A non-profit pet rescue, pet adoption, and animal shelter servicing the Houston, TX area. houstonhumane.orgTo learn about the Texas civil and criminal laws regarding animal cruelty, please visit texas.gov/animal-law.
Schedule a Presentation
To schedule a prevention presentation and learn more about animal cruelty, fill out our presentation request link here: https://crime-stoppers.org/presentation_request