Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Sexual assault can occur by force, coercion, pressure, intimidation, fear, threat and/or extortion. It includes but is not limited to rape, attempted rape, incest, fondling, sexual harassment and other forms of unwelcome/non-consensual sexual activity.
Did you know?
- In 2019, 406,970 women were raped or sexually assaulted while the corresponding number for men was 52,336 (statista.com)
- Every 73 seconds another American is sexually assaulted (rainn.org)
- The majority of sexual assaults (55%) occur at or near the victim’s home (rainn.org)
- Of victims under the age of 18: 34% of victims of sexual assault and rape are under age 12, and 66% of victims of sexual assault and rape are age 12-17 (rainn.org)
- The self-reported incidence of rape or sexual assault more than doubled in 2018 (ncvrs.org)
Sexual Assault Safety Awareness Tips - Bilingual
- If you are in immediate danger, Call 911!
- Call the National Sexual Violence Assault Hotline 656.HOPE (4673) or visit www.rainn.org
Partners & Resources
- Harris County District Attorney’s Office app.dao.hctx.net
- Harris County Sheriff’s Office www.harriscountyso.org
- Houston Police Department www.houstontx.gov/police
- Harris County Public Health – provides cost-free STD testing, education, and counseling. publichealth.harriscountytx.gov
- YMCA www.ymcahouston.org
- The Montrose Center – empowers our community—primarily lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) individuals and their families—to live healthier, more fulfilling lives. www.montrosecenter.org