ELDERLY ABUSE is any abuse and neglect of persons age 60 and older by a caregiver or another person in a relationship involving an expectation of trust.
The number of senior citizens in our city continues to grow and new forms of elder abuse and exploitation constantly appear. Just like everyone our elderly population has the right be safe and needs to be embraced and protected by our community:
- More than 1 in 10 Americans aged 60+ have experienced some form of elder abuse.
- 90% of abusers are family members, 2/3 of perpetrators are adult children or spouses.
- Only 1 in 23.5 cases reported to any agency4 with only 1 in 44 cases of financial abuse being reported.
- The National Research Council estimates that only 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse ever comes to the attention of authorities.
- Most victims are dependent on their abuser for basic needs.
- Elders who experienced mistreatment had a 300% higher risk of death when compared to those who had not been mistreated.
Crime Stoppers provides helpful Elderly Abuse Prevention Tips.