Human Trafficking Awareness
Human trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery in which traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to control victims for the purpose of engaging in commercial sex acts or labor services against his/her will.
The I-10 corridor spanning the Greater Houston Area is a hub for the trafficking modern day slaves:
- Human trafficking is a federal crime and is the second largest criminal industry.
- In 2015 the National Human Trafficking Resources Center (NHTRC) received received a total of 24,757 signals (calls, emails, online tip reports) nationwide.
- 55% of victims are women and girls.
- 26% of victims are children: the majority of them is trafficked through coercion, false promises and false job offers.
- Labor Trafficking is more wide-spread than sex-trafficking.
Crime Stoppers shares important Human Trafficking Awareness Tips to support the fight against this inhumane form of abuse.
Human Trafficking Awareness Tips